Quantcast

Why do you guys play single player?

wb

Why do you guys play single player?

wb
Like the title says, why do you play single player and not multiplayer?
Personally, I got fed up with people who have fun ruining other peoples fun (hackers/bandits). I even tried private servers but when a clan of 10 players join and hoard all vehicles and heli crash sites it seems impossible to do well as a lone wolf.

I enjoy playing in single player because I can practice flying a helicopter and trying different snipers with the range finders. When I found my first AS50 I didn't have a clue what to do with it, same goes with flying a helicopter. After spending hours getting decent gear and fixing up a heli it seems a waste to loose it all in a few minutes.

What about you guys?

Re: Why do you guys play single player?

Luke
Gives me a chance to actually enjoy the game, as opposed to knowing that any enjoyment I would have gotten from the multi-player is short lived while its currently designed with the "sniper on the hill mentality". Combine that with server hacks/player wipes/hacker issues, I simply have no desire to waste any time playing the game when the outcome has already been decided for me.

The only way to win, is not to play...

Fix those issues, and I am happy to play both!

Re: Why do you guys play single player?

Johnny Utah
It gives me the chance to actually play without having some loot goblin or hacker coming around and ruining my fun.

Thanks again for the great mod. :)

Re: Why do you guys play single player?

kodabar
Administrator
This post was updated on .
When I first played the multiplayer, the joy of discovery and working things out was a large part of the draw for me. The mod was still new and I didn't know anyone who knew much about it. My mate, Lex, bought Operation Arrowhead for me and we started playing together.

I had a blog, so I wrote an installation guide for my friends as it was pretty tricky to get it going at the time. I was posting blog articles every weekday back then and I devoted a week to DayZ. I heard about someone doing a single player mod, so I thought it worth covering. I was suggesting to friends that they might like to play single player for a bit to familiarise themselves with the controls and stuff.

Lex is quite a prolific author of gameplay videos and I felt encouraged to make my own. I decided to make one with a zombie as the presenter. Goodness knows why, but I did. We were very keen to get our hands on a helicopter at the time, so I used single player to practice fixing them so that, in the event we found one, we could get it up and away (hopefully) before we got slaughtered. So I worked out the easiest method to get a helicopter in the air and made a video with the zombie presenter. It would have been very difficult to do this in multiplayer, so I did it in single player. Here's the video (oh and I am trying to put on an accent - that's nothing like my actual voice):

I wasn't really playing single player very much at the time, but I started using it to test out various guns and things so I could decide what to go for in the online play.

My article on installation was getting quite a few hits by then (it's up to almost 500,000 now) and the second most popular one was the single player. And then Kronzky (the single player author) fell out with Rocket (the DayZ dev) and it was removed. I was getting a lot of people posting saying that they wanted the file. So I modified the article to explain how to keep it running and suggested that people could still get a copy from me if they could guess my gmail address. I was getting enough emails every day that it was worth writing a template reply to save me time.

Around this time I got hit by my first hacker. I was fully kitted out and suddenly I was in mid-air and heading for the ground, just like everyone else on the server. Damn it.

A couple of people popped up on the blog to say that they wanted to modify single player and they seemed to think that I was some kind of expert. I really don't know much about editing ArmA pbo files at all, but I tried my best to help them. I spent a lot of time with one guy trying to add AI players, but we had real trouble getting them to fire at zombies without them shooting at buildings, loot, garbage, etc (you might notice that you can't pick up loot after summoning bodyguards in Unknown's version - this is because the classes are changed to enable targeting - I think - something I could never figure out).

I was now getting killed by hackers quite often, so I was playing more single player just for fun.

A while later Unknown turned up on the blog with his version of the mod and my flagging interest in the game was revived. I must stress that he does all the coding - I just do a bit of testing of preview versions and provide space on the blog.

I haven't played multiplayer for a while. I'd got killed by hackers so often that I was quite expert in getting kitted out in a hurry. Normally within two hours I could have my favourite M16 ACOG, ghillie suit, nightvision goggles, G17 pistol and all the supplies and ammo I could need. And then what? There really was nothing for me to do other than hunt players and I don't like to hunt players. I am happy to take out fully-kitted opponents who are hostile, but I loathe the kind of inconsiderate types who hang around the coast sniping newly-spawned players or beginners.

So I've pretty much been playing single player ever since. I still drop into multiplayer from time to time, mostly to deliver supplies to friends who are a bit stuck. I guess I might get back into multiplayer when the standalone comes out - if they deal with hackers. And that's my (very long) story. I've made three other DayZ videos since and I've got another two, all shot in single player (one of them with a custom version of single player - thanks Unknown!).

Re: Why do you guys play single player?

Mr. 'funny'
Started to gain interest in Dayz when I discovered a random yahoo answer that recommend I be ready for the Dayz release. I've been playing Zombie games forever and usually play games on the Xbox. This game returned me to PC games. Due to my old laptop breaking and forcing me to purchase a new one, I now can play some worthy games that I was never able to play before, like that STALKER series that I can remember foaming over since 2005. Great fucking games btw. I highly recommend them, even if they are a little buggy.

I've always been more interested in single player games as I try to keep my social life and gaming separate (I play games instead of watching T.V.). Therefore I can say I wanted to play Dayz any way I could, multi or not. I really kinda wanna play with some other people though, offers that much more to the survival aspect of the game.

Anyway, I do what I gotta do to play a game, and with the internet these dayz...fuck, I remember a time when steam didn't exist.

Asides all that irrelevancy, I (personally) did not agree with Rocket removing the original SP mod for Dayz. For some reason he wouldn't except a mod of a mod.

Re: Why do you guys play single player?

Luke
@Mr Funny :

I am guessing, that the commercial implications are probably why Rocket was forced to remove the single player portion, as the standalone is under development, I guess they did not want to take any chances. I do see his point of view, but I also realize that he works for the company that are making the game, so I view it with an eye of suspicion when people do things like that.

I did not appreciate them stamping on peoples creativity though, so that got my back up a bit when they disabled single player in the mod.

Without Dayz, Arma 2 was a sleeper hit that would have been left that way. I bought the game because of Dayz, and I got Arma 2/Arrowhead as bonuses, however they are fairly good all-round games, so its a good budget buy with lots of long term playability for the money.

Until the multiplayer gets a bit of attention, and weapons are a bit more balanced/less easy to get, I probably will not go back there until the stand-alone. Every time I logged in, we just get teleported into the sea and everyone dies. I am not wasting any more time trying to gear up, I have better things to do in the real world...

Re: Why do you guys play single player?

kodabar
Administrator
Single player was originally written by a chap named Kronzky. He's published a lot of mods and tools for ArmA 2, so it only seemed natural to make something for DayZ. Rocket has always intended to add a single player, but hasn't got around to it so he initially liked Kronzky's work.

There was a problem with Kronzky's SP in that, every time DayZ was updated, it would break and Kronzky would have to adapt it again. Rocket and Kronzky got together and Rocket offered him source code access asking in return that Kronzky hosted the file on the main DayZ site and told Rocket what he was doing with it. That way there was just the one place to go for DayZ files and MP and SP would stay up-to-date with each other.

But Kronzky didn't do as Rocket asked and so they had a bit of a falling out. They both announced that SP was over and that it wouldn't be distributed any more. And that's the story of that.

I should point out that Rocket isn't an employee of Bohemia and hasn't been before either. He was contracted by Bohemia to do some work in the past, but was never formally employed by them. Since the success of DayZ, he's moved over to Prague (where Bohemia are based) and is working in their offices, using their staff. So far, Rocket hasn't made a penny from DayZ, but Bohemia have made a ton of money from selling the base games. Hopefully the standalone will be out by the end of this year (although it will be an alpha test version, but we're used to that) and Rocket can start making some cash.
wb

Re: Why do you guys play single player?

wb
I didn't realise you were the author of that video kodabar! That's the video I used to learn how to fix a chopper when I first started playing, and I liked the cockney accent haha.

Interesting to hear how the single player first came about and has continued to be edited. I remember when rocket first stated that they do not support private servers before the majority of the community flocked to them due to hackers. A few days ago I saw a post by rocket on reddit saying that he recommends players to join private servers to avoid the hacks. I'm pretty sure he and the team is more focused on the standalone than the state of the current mod. There hasn't been an update for dayz for a while. I think I saw a post on his twitter saying he was going to release the source code of the mod to private servers to experiment with. Although I don't think he supports single player, I doubt he will go out of his way to stop arma missions being edited.

Re: Why do you guys play single player?

Luke
Thanks, I didnt know that, I knew that Kronzky was the original modder though, kudos to him and you for your work!

Re: Why do you guys play single player?

Braindead
That video is sooo funny, I just wish I wasn't drinking a cup of tea at the time, most of it came out of my nose!

I loved the game when it first came out and a group of us made a private server, which too me, was one of the best things ever because I loved helping people and running around in a group but then that went to pot, which left me with MP.
Where NO-ONE helps each other! it got to the point, that everyone is so afraid, that they shoot on sight, just on the safe-side.

So, I only joined servers, that had no players, to collect items and thought, what's the point of that? I may as well play single player!
Plus it does give you more of that apocalyptic feel, knowing you are the only proper human in Chernarus.

BD

Re: Why do you guys play single player?

Deanosaurus_Rex
I play it because my PC doesn't have a permanent internet connection. Just sayin'

Re: Why do you guys play single player?

danielcaruanasmith
My 7 reasons why SP:

1) Internet connections can be dodgy from time to time, FACT. I want to enjoy SP when my internet goes cough xbox one cough

2) in some cases less lag

3) NO HACKERS

4) The survivor 'feel'. In DayZ feeling like a lone wolf just adds to the experience.

5) SP is a great training ground for Bambis :p

6) Being able to save and load. Although some consider this cheating, it is useful when to just load up where you went wrong, especially when you are just starting out. I rarely do this now but I did it a lot when I first got Daizy

7) Its just as addicting and fun, so why not :)

I really hope Rocket sees what Kodabar has achieved with Daizy, maybe the standalone will feature sp, although that is highly unlikely . . .