We're all playing Ravage!

kodabar
Administrator
The mods on here are amazing and I've been consistently impressed by the improvements that the authors have made. It's also impressive to see how long these mods have lasted and what a large player base they still have.

ArmA 3 has been out for a couple of years now and a lot of mod development has moved to it. One of the best mods for ArmA 3 is Ravage, by Haleks. You may recognise Haleks from his work on here. Well, he's certainly put the time in on Ravage and it's proving to be very popular.

The main thing to note about Ravage is that it is a mod framework rather than a mod in itself. Haleks has created something that can easily be modded to make new missions. Although Ravage comes with a missions of its own, that's really a demonstration of the system.

One of the most requested features on here is LAN play, by which people mean multiplayer without a server. It's always been rather difficult to achieve. With the latest release of Ravage, Haleks has added multiplayer support both with and without servers.

I would encourage everyone on here to give Ravage a go and I would hope that some of the mod authors from here would be interested in developing it farther. Some are already doing just that, but it would be nice to see more of you bring your expertise to the best survival mod for ArmA 3.

Full details of Ravage and discussion of its features are on a Bohemia forum page here:
https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/183264-ravage-mod/

There is also a wiki giving some details and hints about Ravage gameplay. And it also contains a list of all the missions that have been written for Ravage (there are ten at the time of writing).
http://ravage.wikia.com/wiki/Ravage_Wikia

I've made a few videos showing Ravage in action. This could well be shameless self-promotion.
https://www.youtube.com/user/kodabar

Re: We're all playing Ravage!

benevolentdevil
Was the module based structure not something that could be done with arma2 oa, that Ravage uses?

 Or backwards compatible maybe?

Re: We're all playing Ravage!

kodabar
Administrator
I'm afraid there's no chance of making Ravage compatible with ArmA 2. It just uses too many new ArmA 3 features. Also, Ravage is designed as a framework allowing people to make missions very easily, so it's quite tightly integrated with the ArmA 3 editor.

Bear in mind that ArmA 3 isn't exactly new at this point. It's over four years old, so going back even farther to ArmA 2 would be a bit of a stretch. Sorry.

Re: We're all playing Ravage!

benevolentdevil
Koda ... would it be somewhat possible though?

 Like a close-proximity of it at least?

 I understand if devs don't want to work on Arma 2 OA/CO anymore ... but if it's feesible to somewhat recreate in arma 2 ... pointing those of us still using/working on it in the right direction to accomplish it ... we could take up the mantle of trying to do it?

Re: We're all playing Ravage!

kodabar
Administrator
Well yeah, you sort of could, but we already have. And it's all this. You'll notice in these forums that one of the authors of some of the most advanced missions was Haleks, the same chap who's writing Ravage. Ravage is a development of what he was doing here. So if you play something like DaiZy Factions, then that's basically Ravage in ArmA 2.

One of the great benefits of Ravage is that it's a framework. It's not designed to be a set of missions, it's designed to make it easy for anyone to create their own. I recently made a video showing how to quickly and easily create your own Ravage mission without writing a single line of code or even pasting in a script. You just drag a few modules onto a map and you're ready to go. That kind of thing would be practically impossible to recreate in ArmA 2.

Asking if a few pointers could be given isn't as simple as it seems either. I get asked this kind of thing all the time. Today someone emailed me asking if I could just make a video showing how to handle custom loot lists in Ravage. Well, yeah, I could, but they're significantly underestimating the time and effort involved. All that would take me the best part of a week. And I'd earn nothing from doing it, whilst not doing the work I actually get paid for.

I'm afraid that what you're asking is along the same lines. We've all been away from ArmA 2 for long enough, that we probably can't remember the differences in coding. I can appreciate what you want to do and that you'd like a little help to get you moving in the right direction. But I simply don't have the time or the knowledge to help and I suspect that no one else does either.

I'm helping several people make Ravage and ArmA 3 missions at the moment. In the course of typing this (surprisingly lengthy) post, I've had four separate people pop up on Steam to ask me questions about that stuff. I'm just not sure when I'd ever have to time to go off and quiz several people about trying to translate Ravage functions into ArmA 2. Sorry. But honestly, the missions on here are as close as you're ever going to come in the first place. Something like Factions is about 50% of what Ravage is now.

Re: We're all playing Ravage!

benevolentdevil
I understand.

I seen that video, which spurred my interest if it was backwards compatible, or somewhat compatible.

 Not all of us have Arma3 capable machines still yet, lol.  ;)
( But, when I do ... Arma3 is on my tippy top list of games to get. Because of ravage ( what I've seen on Youtube , and ArmStalker mod too. I'm sure there is more. )

 Ok, let me ask this ... if you can spare just enough time to answer it:

 Because Arma 2 uses "modules" , is it possible to create "drag and drop" modules in arma 2, to somewhat "customize" A survival experience?  Similar to A3 ravage modules... I kind of figured the extent of coding and customization Ravage had, would not technically be "possible" in Arma2.
If so ... I'll look up how to make the editor modules to do so on my own. ( If it's not beyond my understanding, I barely have learned bare-bones Arma2 scripts and only a few functions by looking at other de-pbo'd missions. )
 I have "ideas" just not a solid way to express the desires I have at the moment I think.

 I appreciate the work everyone did do here.  A few of us are still kicking around A2 ideas and wants/desires  still,  my only wish ... is to somehow get what's here already " updated" to latest DayZ update at least ( for when that applies.).
 But, it's all allowed for countless hours of discovery and fun ( especially when I wasn't able to get online, or wanted to bother with other people or ... rent a server myself. )

 I just think, there is still a lot of potential with Arma2 , we only really seen the "tip of the iceberg" by what dayZ mods presented. ( Personally, I like survival aspects with regular forces ideas, and the "zombie craze" has kind of ran it's course, or has gotten old/dull, where players are now "jaded" to it.  )
 I still think , given enough know how, and creativity applied, ... more things could be presented to Arma2 , and I believe if it's A2 made, it's forward compatible to "port" to A3?
  The thing with DayZ was ... it dominated, and most wished to play, rather than invent more things, or ... lacked vision on what else could be made and played. What got "developed" was simply mods and scripts, to further mod and enhance dayZ ... given birth to Epoch, Overpoch, Origins, ect ...

 So while I am "stuck" in A2 land ... I figured I'd at least try to ... see what I can do, and push the envelope so to say.  Even if it's never "popular" , never played by anyone but myself.

Re: We're all playing Ravage!

kodabar
Administrator
I have to say, you're absolutely right; older stuff does deserve to be supported. I'm a bit of a Luddite technologically and often stick to older technologies until something truly better comes out. I'm still using a Tapwave Zodiac (PalmOS) PDA, my mobile phone is a Palm Pre and I've got an HP TouchPad (WebOS) tablet (actually, I've got six of them). There are a lot of people still using ArmA 2 and it's still got a lot of life in it.

I've talked to a few people and the general consensus is that it is possible to create modules (they won't quite be drag and drop though), but it's a lot of work. And sadly, no one seems interested in doing it.

I can well understand the frustration of having ideas that outstrip technical knowledge. I constantly have that problem.

Re: We're all playing Ravage!

benevolentdevil
What I mean by "drag and drop" ... ( I thought it'd be alot of work , no doubt ):

 start making Modules, then put them in a "pack" series for download as Addons.

 Then mission creators simply have to run the addon, and put modules in the editor to do what they'd spend hours doing by unit/vehicle/marker/trigger placements ... or coding building positions, ect ....

 Or ... I just realized ... you can't really do that can you?
 Theres not a way to slim line the process down to that simple.  Not by Arma2 anyways.

frustrating, but it's ok.

 work on new computer and Arma3 it is , lol.

Re: We're all playing Ravage!

kodabar
Administrator
Yep, sorry, but you're right. That's not really possible. It'd be neat though!