Thoughts on DayZ - Last Days

12

Thoughts on DayZ - Last Days

Rachel-gamer(gaming and more).
This post was updated on .
Pretty interesting mod. Somewhere between Origins and Land of the Dead it looks like. If you don't care for the running female zeds in LotD you having the original zeds here. It seems that the "missions" here is similar to Epoch, "floating" around. With these up-popping colored circles that Epoch has. The player menu is the same as Origins but the base building and crafting is like LotD. It looks like there are constant conversation over the radio between groups and peeps. Somehow mixed in russian and english, lol! Just put the PDA in your backpack then you ain't having em chattering all the time.

Like a scaled down Land of the Dead. Feels like more "on to it" here. A little bit more so. And an another take on AI missions, like (Origins) in a way, (Epoch). And it runs really smooth, if not better than LotD, not that demanding at all.

Keeping you updated on this when i find or do anything of interest. But for you not liking the broken items and the empty toolboxes like in LotD, i think it's the same way here. Well see when i gone so far to test it.

Noticed that more options popping up in your action options than in both Origins and LotD. In russian tho, have to see if i can figure out what that means. Maybe more to it, just done in a slimmer way.

Aha! You can move object and lock object like in Wasteland. Cool! On the fly. And i saw some friendly AIs acting like Wasteland civilians a bit a while ago. Drove their truck minding their own business, reminding me about Wasteland a lot. If this is a mix between Wasteland and DayZ with heavy construction and base building i'm on.

Just found a ordinary toolbox (not empty) think it is a mixed mod this one, for sure. You that don't like the grind in LotD (benevolentdevil) think this is your lucky day. Lol! Would be surprised if this one breaks. And if it does you always find a new one, whole.

Update: To make it clear, i've got both an empty toolbox and a ordinary "full" one in my inventory. Mixed loot.

Re: Thoughts on DayZ - Last Days

benevolentdevil
I'll have to check it out then. ;)

Re: Thoughts on DayZ - Last Days

Rachel-gamer(gaming and more).
This post was updated on .
Nothing new. But something on the missions here. Forgot to say that i've seen (just played some hours) a green circle as a mission marker instead/as well as red/orange ones. That's why i thought it is something different on the mission construction in this mod. That you can join friendlies, help them out or recruit etc. in this. Maybe more in a Wasteland/Life direction how that works. Have to see if blue circles popping up, if so i think it can be so. Not played Epoch enough to tell if there is "friendly" missions/tasks, but it is more so in the other ones if i remember it right.

I'm not rushing it to make a point, playing the mod as usual so it can take time for me to figure things like this out. Ok? If anyone is more familiar to this mod feel free to give us heads up on stuff like this.

Re: Thoughts on DayZ - Last Days

benevolentdevil
in epoch/overpoch ... different colored circles just meant different difficulty levels of missions usually.

green= easy, orange moderate, red difficult.

Re: Thoughts on DayZ - Last Days

Rachel-gamer(gaming and more).
benevolentdevil wrote

Aha? Problem solved then. Thx! And i now see that LD is built on LotD, tells "DayZ Land Of The Dead v 0.9.5" in the right down corner at the screen. You also have "SOC-R Riverene Craft v2.0" and "ASC Addons" in the mod. The rest of the stuff is baked in to "Arma 2: DayZ Mod" = "DayZ Land Of The Dead v 0.9.5".

Re: Thoughts on DayZ - Last Days

Rachel-gamer(gaming and more).
This post was updated on .
And before i forget. Pick this mod up from Klaycus5555s website (dayb.emyspot.com) not from mega upload.

And when i extracted my addons i started with package 1/extract here. Then the rest of the package self extracted by them self 2-7. Never seen that before, i normally cutting and pasting one winrar package at the time. Not seem to work here. Do all addons in one move. Then flip it into A2/OA. The rest of the drivers etc. works just normal, extract em and move it as you please.

Re: Thoughts on DayZ - Last Days

benevolentdevil
I see some of those dayz sp mods there are related or variations of each other.

 I'm going to try this one first :
DayZNovaMeh44

 I'm not sure, it doesn't have much of a description ... I'm not all that interested in cars, but the text mentions improved "construction" ... and it's on NAPF which is one of my favorite maps.

 I was going to try the Epoch SP one, I might later ...  the only part of it in it's description , it said " kill one bandit, they all come hunting you" ... , which would be alright, if you were able to tell a large bandit group member, from any other bandits ...

 I was going to try the Alien one, but I think those are patches to the Predator DayZ mod seen on the other link.
 Predators ... difficult.  Very difficult ... unless NovaMeh had changed em to not be super OP ... , but seeing how Russians love things hard and difficult, I doubt he did ...

Re: Thoughts on DayZ - Last Days

benevolentdevil
Going back to the colored circle markers ...

 When missions were a thing , usually the colors mean difficulty level ... but I don't know if they are accurate or not.

 Some missions online would say like " Heroes have landed a chopper.." , but you get there, they are enemy AI even if wearing "hero skins" ...  I think maybe some are just worded for RP or maybe to entice bandit players to go do missions too.
But there's no "faction system" for online play ... so I don't know if dayz SP is set up the same way or not.

 I remember one server, I was new and went to do a "green mission" ... allegedly "easy" ... , it was not easy.  Once I was near a red mission , it had more AI spawn in it , but I was able to run around inside 100m , and kill all the AI with a pistol ... it wasn't "hard", just many AI in one area ...

[...]

Looks cool. All these mods? Lol! Not complaining the slightest, lol! But damn hard to keep this up. I'll checking that one up also. If it offers an another map i'm sure on to it.

This one is an hybrid for sure. With some new craft "tools" added to it, another "documents" and stuff i've picked up. And the loot is mixed, can tell that now. Found an ordinary jerry can for gasoline (not for water) that is whole with no welding requirement to it like the toolbox. Found more whole packages like painkillers and bandages etc. Letting you guys know when i find some more "up to snuff" tools and loot.

The food and drink system is like in Origins, or like in the original DayZ. When i find a hatchet that is whole i'm gonna try some wood cutting (camp fire) to see if that as well is like in original DayZ. If so i think we can make some conclusions from that.

Btw. The LotD missions didn't work in LD. Still asks for a missing "userconfig". Have to research on that later.

And the zeds in this! Man, they are hard, lol! In a good way, well balanced. But the way these attaching to each other is from another world. They follow every misstep you do. Start a fight in a house? Then you having the whole town there to see whats happening, lol! Choosed 50% zeds and 20% runners in this. Really hard to kill and they striking you really bad. No jokers these zeds, lol!

Edit: Nope! No player options on difficulty level on zeds. Must have dreamed that. Hmm? Exactly the same as Origins player menu. So i deleted that statement here, sorry on the misinformation. You can choose 0% runners as in Origins DLC version.

Re: Thoughts on DayZ - Last Days

Rachel-gamer(gaming and more).
This post was updated on .
Rachel-gamer(gaming and more). wrote
benevolentdevil wrote
[...]

This one is very much the same as Origins. Getting the feeling that LotD is more to the crafting and base building and not so much to the rest of the game. Like Origins with LotD features added to it. The mission folder is more or less the same as Origins. Had to put the notorious "spawnBandits_initialize.sqf" out in this too. So similar to Origins.

And something more on the zeds. Think these zeds is likewise to Olivs zeds in hardness (little less). You can kill em with melee like in original DayZ. One or two hit most of the time (some not) with crowbars, hatchets. But they will kill you with 2-3 strikes. If you wanna play this be known that these zeds are really hard. You can compensate it with low runners, down to 0%. But they will spawn in and close to houses all the time. You mostly have to combat 1-2 zeds in every house you visit. Have that in mind.

I tried 0% and ended up with 50% blood in 30 min. Was a bit careless but that should be common to you no matter how you play it. This mod is in a way slower than LotD due to this nature. Maybe you like it. I actually do like it. But beware on this. A town will take good while to go through safely.

[...]

The food and drink system turned out to be like the one in LotD. A bit scaled down from the LotD one, not so puniching on drinking while eating like LotD. Half way.

And here is some new takes on sleeping options and added "protection". Ain't spoiling anything but this is cool. One of the top mods, clearly.

Re: Thoughts on DayZ - Last Days

Rachel-gamer(gaming and more).
This post was updated on .
And this have to be one of the hardest DayZ mods i've tried so far. One of the funniest but almost to hard. You really have to get that good flow from start, otherwise you have to restart from the beginning. I came into a situation that i had to redo it from my start save. Always making a startup save the first thing i do. Thank god for that. So easy to go wrong here, then no matter what you do you can't go forward. Maybe not so much for newbies this mod i have to say.

But i'm gonna spend some time here. Think it is totally worth it. My hardcore mod. The one you play when you really playing and not half-assing it.

Update: If you giving your normal 10 minute progress span 30 minutes instead your experience should be more like it you are accustomed with.

Re: Thoughts on DayZ - Last Days

Rachel-gamer(gaming and more).
This post was updated on .
Yep! A good start certainly helps, lol! The first 2 hours in this is crucial. Now i'm on board. Lovely! I would suggest a spawn point near a town. Don't even try a "where am i in the countryside" location, you only wasting your time that way.

And the "move, lock, unlock" feature is so refreshing. It fits my play style so well. Since i'm not carrying heavy materials and objects by hand this is perfect due to my "home coocking" rules. Near exactly like the "ACE" drag option i wanted for Origins. Love that shit. Found a wheelbarrow, then i picked up some car wheels, a big plastic can etc. "Ran" it "on" my wheelbarrow back to my new found army truck. So cool! So many ways to play the game with this added in. I'm locking the cart outside or beside the place i pleases to loot. Then i unlock it, heading back to my location. Emptying it to my wheels etc. Locking it in a safe spot, marking my spot, then carry on elsewhere. Best shit ever! If i'm dropping objects on the ground i also lock those.

And less zeds making it more survival, even with runners. 50% - 20% runners seems better onto surviving than 100% - 0% runners. They not spawning indoors or next to houses that often that way. Easier to sneak in and out then without getting your head broken every time. I run 50% - 10% runners, supreme geared up a bit first.

Re: Thoughts on DayZ - Last Days

Rachel-gamer(gaming and more).
This is refreshing. 1. The zeds is spreading out by spending time in an area. Not rocket science but worth a thought when playing the game. 2. This is more to it. The ordinary toolboxes (non empty) do work on vehicles. You spare a lot of time being able to use these as well as the (fill up with dozen of tools) ones. Really nice. 3. Most dynamic weather system yet. Switching wildly. And no performance hiccups neither. Cool!

Later!

Re: Thoughts on DayZ - Last Days

Rachel-gamer(gaming and more).
This post was updated on .
 This is major! This is a mixed mod between original DayZ and LotD on crafting for sure. Remember the complain about the tedious procedure making a fireplace in LotD.

Now! Here you, chop wood chips, harvest a wood pile, clicking your matches/lighter and make your fireplace. Then just fire it up, done! I knew it was a bit softer on construction in this mod. Way more playable to you not liking to much grinding.

This also done with an ordinary hatchet. Not a blunt LotD version hatchet. It seems to work, hurray! Just one more step to fulfill a fireplace.

To make wood chips you need to have your hatchet in your tool belt, to harvest wood you need to have it in you "back/hands" for some reason. Figure stuff like this out when you doing it.

To make sure you don't wasting your ordinary type of tools always spare an empty slot in your tool belt. That way it can duplicate itself in to that spot. Not sure if the game letting you have an in order working tool if the broken one ain't having somewhere to go. It could overwrite the one that works in you back/hands. So leave one slot empty.

Re: Thoughts on DayZ - Last Days

benevolentdevil
isn't last days a bigger download than LoTD?

Simpler construction is good.
 LotD , I got tired of trying to find the ultra rare sharpening stone.
Less grindy is what I like ... I don't mind difficult or hard, just like much less grindy for the simple things.

Re: Thoughts on DayZ - Last Days

Rachel-gamer(gaming and more).
This post was updated on .
benevolentdevil wrote
isn't last days a bigger download than LoTD?

Simpler construction is good.
 LotD , I got tired of trying to find the ultra rare sharpening stone.
Less grindy is what I like ... I don't mind difficult or hard, just like much less grindy for the simple things.
LD is 10.3gb. And don't forget the drivers to it. Just some 100mb. You find the drivers in the opening page for the mod. Click the mod (map) you want. Translate. Get the userconfig, batnik (steam users), updates. I didn't pick the map. No need to they follow with the addons. You get a bunch of maps but not the belonging missions? Have to double check that so they not are hidden in some folder somewhere, but i'm positive there is no. Then go to addons and download them (1.9gb X 2) in each folder. Or open the folders and pick the packages individually, that's how i downloaded em. Had some errors choosing the folders (missing files). When each package is half the size than the whole folders (1.9gb) it's safer to get them home in one piece.

And it's hard but i kind of exaggerating just a little bit maybe. That the zeds doing that much damage when they hit you is one of a kind pretty much. Like 3 hits and you are dead. But if you taking it 3 times slower the normal time exploring. And taking more caution you handle it. You know the original infected you throwing air with, lol! That added with the lethal nature of the zeds here. Just save often and you guys are good to go.

Re: Thoughts on DayZ - Last Days

Rachel-gamer(gaming and more).
This post was updated on .
A final take on fireplaces. "Kindling a fire you need chips, as well as newspaper or toilet paper or gasoline." This notification is linked to a "woodpile raw". I was harvesting wood, was satisfied with 2 piles. Got one "woodpile raw" and one "woodpile". The "woodpile" is the normal woodpile from Origins/original DayZ. You can light that up just adding some wood chips like i said before. The "woodpile raw" is the same as in Land of the Dead.

Or was it all the items in that list (except toilet paper)? A third version on making fireplaces? Think it was. I responded on that issue i'm sure. Thought that one or another was in order, but not and. You tell me! Never came that far in LotD before i went here.

You can harvest wood on every tree in this like in Origins. No need to "be in a wood", like the original DayZ. Just find a tree no matter where. And you can cut wood from all varieties of trees, not just from pine trees and firs.

If my original DayZ hatchet breaks i will come back on that. Not broke yet. Harvest at least 10 woodpiles.

Maybe the associated tools and items works in a associating way dependent where there they belongs from. Maybe in a third brand new way? Letting you know next time i'm in a chatty mood. Can tell that cars certainly having a grindy (parts and chores) way of fixing em. But i've also seen some normal parts to them as well. Maybe you can do mixed crafting and repairs here too. Picked up a normal windscreen. I'm on my way back to my truck, if this works (have my toolbox) i should be able to just flip it to my truck in one move. Building my chattiness up until next time.

Mini update. Refuel a vehicle, boat in this case. With an ordinary original 20L Jerry Can adds no extras to fulfill. No funnel, no hose to fill your can up. Nothing. Can see a pattern here.

Re: Thoughts on DayZ - Last Days

Rachel-gamer(gaming and more).
This post was updated on .
Now i'm having the picture i think. To repair a windscreen (original windscreen) "You need a compactor or glue". I had some glue, sure enough it worked. My hatchet did break (original DayZ version). But you can use it as normal broken? Did both harvest wood and created lumber with it broken. It shows a blunt hatchet in my tool belt, but you have a whole normal one in your back/hands. It only duplicating a blunt one into your tool belt. Just throw the blunt one away and you are good to go. And i did see that i forgot to mention that it asks for a funnel when you refueling a vehicle. But it still refuels your vehicle. No prob. Somehow the original overwriting the LotD ones. Did also see that if you having both woodpile and woodpile raw in your gears (not backpack) it choosing the woodpile raw. Meaning that you can't make fire with out newspaper, toilet paper or gasoline. If you are putting the woodpile raw into you backpack or dropping it you can make a fire with just some wood chips. A pure LotD creation like canvas tents etc. the other hand demands the full monty what i can see. No short cuts here.

Maybe it is just a fluke that it works this way? Maybe the intention wasn't that to be? Anyways cool and an option for a less grindy experience as mentioned. Think i can leave it with that. Now you having an idea how this mod is built.

And i don't giving any spoilers here, for you to find out. Can tell tho that here is a good chunk of funniness to figure out, lol! You ain't getting disappointed for sure. A top contender if not the best mod with this map. This map is turning out to be my favorite. So good Napf, the size and the variations in this. Man! The environment is outstanding. So many open buildings that you ending up passing some out. Near prefect this one. Really liking it. A bit more than Origins. And mainly cause of the map it's built on more than LotD. And maybe you don't need the running witches from LotD neither after visiting these scrambling framers here. The drag, lock and unlock feature here is also a facelift for sure. Helping this mod to be one of the best no question. That you can save bare objects to the "server" by locking em is so cool. Now you can start your base or hideout with spare junk if you want. And the realism it follows handling tools and materials in real time. Can't beat that. Yeaya!

Give it a try!

And a "Jack-screw" to an original (whole) Car Wheel as a last comment on this topic. This beside "Bolts and Screws", "Automotive Spark", "Engine parts", "Engine spare parts", "Hand pump", "Jumper Cables" etc. You getting my grip here. It's widely mixed on how to craft in this mod depending on the item you got. Let's say likely 1/6 on original items. Pretty often you getting easy parts. Now i'm done with this.

That said, all my (original/classic) DayZ tools like my toolbox, hatchet etc. works on every adjustment i tried. And that original parts (whole) worked with at most one more extra addition to the task. Then on parts on vehicles, i've seen around five different layouts on every part. Like car wheels, jerry cans, fuel tanks etc. Some need more work to operate, some works from the gecko, some is unrepairable broken. But everything is workable with original/classic tools. Conclusion, you can operate probably everything here with original/classic tools. Also pure full LotD constructions/crafting from scratch to fully working condition.

Three things worth noticing here. Random loot from classic DayZ to LotD, probably also Origins loot. A mix between classic DayZ, Origins and LotD on crafting and base building. Added Wastelands moving, lock and unlock feature on objects.
12