SCUM

Eric the Viking
If you're looking for a DayZ style game that isn't DayZ then you might like to check out SCUM. The game is recently out in Early Access and although there's much to do there's still a playable game here, essentially a MP/SP survival game featuring all the mechanics we've come to expect.

If you have played any of the games that evolved from A2 DayZ mod (Epoch, SA, Exile, the list goes on) then you'll probably see the similarities yourself and it will be interesting to see how the planned story plays out as the game develops.

I've been playing the single player mode and it has been a fantastic experience thus far. I really have tried to avoid early access games because your progress can be wiped at any time and you can become jaded by the time there's a final product but I couldn't help but jump on the bandwagon here.

The survival aspect (ie, food and water) are well tuned - it's not enough to merely eat; you need a balanced diet to make sure you're getting all the vitamins & minerals you need. The crafting menu is great from your first stone knife to creating a backpack or making ammunition.

The zombies are terrifying. They can be avoided for the most part and you need to get within 30 meters for them to visually notice you - assuming you are making no noise. They will hear foot steps and the sound created by looting containers. They aren't too hard to kill, head shots will drop them quickly but the sound of a gunshot will alert all zombies in range...

Be sure to check out the system specs; x64, Quad-core & DirectX 11 are the minimum.

Check out either Youtube or your fave Twitch streamer for game play videos.

Re: SCUM

Rachel-gamer(gaming and more).
This post was updated on .
Yep! Looking really cool. Was checking about platforms and it seems that they will put it on consoles as well. I ain't buying PC games anymore so i wait for the full release. If it has single player that is. If so, i'm in.

Btw. Any thoughts on DayZ Standalone for Xbox? That also looks like it having single player for consoles. So good that they adding the option to play offline/pve on Xbox and PS4. Have seen a few more survival games on consoles like ARK and Conan Exiles doing that.

Re: SCUM

Eric the Viking
This post was updated on .
Rachel-gamer(gaming and more). wrote
Was checking about platforms and it seems that they will put it on consoles as well.
Hmm, not sure where you read that. Last I read they (the Devs) have stated they will consider a console version once the PC version has shipped. So it might happen or it might not.

Rachel-gamer(gaming and more). wrote
Any thoughts on DayZ Standalone for Xbox?
No. This is a thread about a PC game called Scum. It's not about a different game on a different platform.

However this game does have many of the same mechanics as SA and in fact seems to "borrow" a little bit from all the survival games from, and including, A2 DayZ mod to the present day, representing an accumulation of the entire survival genre up to this point.

But that is the SP experience, at least for me. There is a story planned and a goal to achieve but that's all to come.

*

The last couple of patches have fixed parts of the SP game so now your stuff (in a box) and your "Fame Points" are maintained when you exit the game.

The last picture is my base of operations. You might be able to see the shelter I have built (where I can respawn when I die) and there's a storage box in the small shed.

Re: SCUM

Rachel-gamer(gaming and more).
This post was updated on .
Perhaps. Think they will. But sure more of a rumor at the time. Think the quote from the devs. giving us a hint tho. Devs. normally don't throwing statements like that out if they not having an intention to do it.

And the DayZ Standalone were more of a comparing between PC and console on width. Think the coin are flipping due to online/MP only games. At least on console. After F-ups like The Division, Destiny, Metal Gear Survive and such gamers abandoning shit like that. They maked clear that you have to add SP as well. Then consoles don't having Steam and other shit-ass drm they been kind of forced to add SP to the games now. Some peeps still buy games on disc. As long they do i think this is the way for console to handle it.

See ARK and Conan Exiles for an example. You can "log in" as an admin offline if you want. If you do that you can change almost everything in the game. It's so cool. Somehow better than our heaviest and best DayZ mods in that regard. Did read that you can't play any of the new survival games offline on PC. But you can on consoles.

A bit unclear about my remark on Standalone. Mb. But this game (SCUM) sure is a point of interest. Have seen the progression system, man! Never seen such dept before. Really hope it is even more of a survival, and more fine tuned on parameters than DayZ is. I'm really looking forward to it!

And really nice pics. The game is stunning looking.

At last a game that can compete with a ten year old game, lol! Amazing! And kind of sad actually.

Re: SCUM

Eric the Viking
This post was updated on .
Rachel-gamer(gaming and more). wrote
Perhaps. Think they will.
If the PC release goes well then yes, we are more likely to see a console release of Scum.

Rachel-gamer(gaming and more). wrote
Devs. normally don't throwing statements
There isn't any "statement" from the Devs. There's only a "maybe" on Twitter. And given a comment made on Steam from one of the Devs regarding "console pheasants" it's not even a firm "maybe".

Rachel-gamer(gaming and more). wrote
Did read that you can't play any of the new survival games offline on PC. But you can on consoles.
I think you may need to reevaluate your source of information Rachel because this simply isn't true. The PC releases of Ark, Conan Exiles and Scum all have offline single player modes. Even DayZ SA had (briefly) an offline mode.

Rachel-gamer(gaming and more). wrote
And the DayZ Standalone

<snip!>
I have no idea what any of that means because it's irrelevant and off topic.

Let me repeat what I've already said: this thread isn't about DayZ SA on consoles. Would you kindly stay on topic?

The topic of consoles, PC games ported to them and how they ruin PC gaming is an interesting topic for sure - but it doesn't belong here.

Re: SCUM

Rachel-gamer(gaming and more).
This post was updated on .
Eric the Viking wrote
[...]

Have to be more inserted i guess. The reason i brought up DayZ S for the Xbox was the nature of that version. Not cast in stone, but probably a full blown SP experience attached to it. Like the recently mentioned all offline, never once in need for an online connection. Never heard about a Steam account that can be used offline for more than a few weeks at the time. You need your adds so you know what games to rent in their app store right? How smart? That it have to "update" your whole client every week to give you adds. Adds forced in your bought library of games, not free to play games.

We talking past each other obviously. Sorry for that. Never meant to have this conversation here. But the main reason i brought it up was that Steam only giving me hassles all the time. And that i never have or will rent media. I need to update my Steam almost every day due to advertisement. Steam had to interrupt my doings in my purchased games to give me adds on games they want me to buy? Every day? I was creating my account so i could play DayZ online some years ago. Then i'm not been interested in buying more games through Steam i had a really odd procedure one Christmas three years ago. I had to redo my account from scratch because i was a "bad" costumer. I noticed that i was getting more and more aggressive adds and suggestions over a two weeks period. After ignoring it i had to "verify" my account and redo everything. So i'm sure that some kind of algoritm fucked with me. Steam saw that i wasn't buying "stuff" from their store! What the fuck is that? Now i'm only a console gamer due to shit like this. I'm not bashing others choice, but it's not for me. Let your account be "off-grid" for three month. Then come back and tell me about how it works. It's not sustainable. All tools/engine/codes on a disc/local hdd is.

I can go on and on over those PC engines. Just tried to say that i think PC gaming is so fucked up these days that console interests seeing an opportunity (has to) to get console players on board on survival/mmos this way (only way). And it seems to work as well. Directly received to old wrongfully claims, that it not working to do that locally, to demanding. I suspect greed, control or incompetence from devs. more often than out dated hardwares.

To close this chapter, this why i'm mentioned that. And i think the opposite way than you on console gaming. Actually think hardware restrictions always been a bit off a scam. You have to make sure the economy growth right? How to come up whit demand? Even if we don't need to. But that's also an another topic. Think console/local gaming can save gaming from declining in the future. At least for me. I'm a SP offline gamer. If it has MP as an extra mode i'm grateful for it. People had it with "Netflix".

Now back to SCUM. Sorry again that this conversation went wrong. Keeping the theme apart better in the future. SCUM.